- Cintra has entered the Polish market following an agreement signed with Poland's Infrastructure Ministry to design, build, finance and operate the A1 Stryków I - Pyrzowice toll road.
- The 180-kilometre road represents an investment of approximately 2.1 billion, including an estimated 1.8 billion euro for the construction.
- With this project, Cintra will manage 24 toll roads, in Spain, Portugal, Greece, Ireland, Poland, Chile, the USA and Canada.
Cintra has been awarded a contract by the Polish Infrastructure Ministry, following a competitive tender, to build, finance and operate the A1 toll road, between the cities of Stryków and Pyrzowice. The 180-kilometer toll road, which is part of the Trans-European North-South Motorway, is divided into three sections.
- Section 1: 38.5 km. of new toll road between Stryków and Tuszyn;
- Section 2: 83.6 km. between Tuszyn and Rzasawa. This is a pre-existing road which the government will transfer for upgrading to motorway standards
- Section 3: 57.9 km. of new road between Rzasawa and Pyrzowice.
The concession is for 35 years from signature of the concession agreement, and the investment is projected to total 2.1 billion euro, including approximately 1.8 billion euro in construction costs. Design and construction work will commence following signature of the contract.
The bid was presented by Autostrada Poludnie, which is owned 90% by Cintra, 5.05% by Budimex and 4.95% by Ferrovial Agromán. Budimex and Ferrovial Agromán will design and build the road.
The contract establishes an initial 12-month period prior to financial closure during which the concession's economic parameters will be assessed and adjustments will be proposed due to the impact of the current economic and financial crisis on funding conditions and costs, on capital costs and on traffic projections as compared with those that obtained when the bid was presented. If the terms are acceptable to both the concessionaire and the Administration, the deal will reach financial closure.
Therefore, the contract may be rescinded freely by either the concession company or the Polish Administration. Absent agreement, the concession company will recover the costs incurred in design and construction and the contract will be rescinded.
With the A1 Stryków I-Pyrzowice project, Cintra will manage a total of 24 toll roads in Spain (7), Portugal (3), Greece (2), Ireland (2), Poland (1), Chile (5), Canada (1) and the USA (3).
Cintra is also Spain's leading car park operator and manages close to 300,000 parking spaces, most of them in Spain.