Ferrovial to build desalination plant in Emirate of Ajman

Press releases

  • Cadagua, a subsidiary of Ferrovial Agroman with over 200 water plants in 15 countries, continues to expand abroad.
  • Because of growth in the Middle East, this is a market of strategic interest for the Company.
  • The company’s backlog amounted to 509.9 million euro at the end of June 2010. International business accounts for 20.7% of revenues.

Cadagua, the Ferrovial Agroman subsidiary specialised in the design, construction and operation of water treatment plants, is to build a reverse osmosis desalination plant in the Emirate of Ajman. The project was awarded by the United Arab Emirates Federal Electricity and Water Authority (FEWA).

Cadagua heads the winning consortium (57% of capital) in partnership with ESSA Engineering, a local civil engineering contractor (which owns the other 43%). The project is worth 41 million euro. This contract strengthens Cadagua’s backlog, which had expanded to 509.9 million euro by 30 June 2010. International sales account for 20.7% of the total. The plant, with a capacity of 45,560 cubic metres/day (equivalent to the needs of a city of approximately 230,000 people), will have energy saving devices and the latest in water pre-treatment technology: dissolved air flotation (DAF) and ultrafiltration, which help to enhance water quality.

“This new project in the Middle East is strategic for Cadagua since it strengthens our foothold in a very dynamic, fast-growing market. Our company is able and willing to seize the opportunities in water infrastructure development in that region,” said Antonio Casado, General Manager of Cadagua.

Over 200 water treatment plants worldwide

This is Cadagua’s second contract in the Middle East. In 2006, the company commissioned the Madinat Yanbu reverse osmosis desalination plant in Saudi Arabia under a 19.2 million euro contract awarded by the Royal Commission for Jubail and Yanbu. The company is also considering projects in other Gulf Cooperation Council member countries, such as the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Kuwait and Oman. Cadagua is also examining business opportunities in Jordan, Syria and north African countries such as Morocco, Algeria and Egypt. The company recently obtained a 37.6 million euro contract to build and operate a drinking water treatment plant in India.

Since its foundation in 1971, Cadagua has built over 200 drinking water, desalination and sewage treatment plants, as well as over 140 industrial water treatment plants. Cadagua currently has references in such countries as China, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Cyprus, Algeria, Tunisia, Chile, Venezuela, Portugal, France, the United Kingdom, Poland and India.


Configure newsletters and alerts.

Check your email address.

Newsletters and alerts

Thank you for subscribing!

We have just sent you an email to confirm your subscription.


The Ferrovial app provides instant access to all of the latest at Ferrovial; informative content, job offers and basic information for investors.