Ferrovial enters the Polish waste treatment market with a contract to design and build a plant

Press releases

A consortium led by Budimex, Ferrovial's construction subsidiary in Poland, together with Cespa, the group's environmental services subsidiary, has been awarded a 78 million euro contract to design and build a waste-to-energy plant in Bialystok, Poland. This is Ferrovial's first waste treatment contract in that country.
Ferrovial has entered Poland's incipient waste treatment market with its first contact, for which it will design and build a plant in Bialystok, in northeast Poland. The contract is worth 332.96 million zlotys (around 78 million euro). The local authorities selected the consortium comprising Budimex, Ferrovial's construction subsidiary in Poland; Cespa, the group's environmental services subsidiary; and Keppel Seghers, a Belgian company specialized in environmental technology, to design and build a waste-to-energy plant, which will serve the city's 300,000 inhabitants. The plant will be able to process 120,000 tons of waste per year with a generating capacity of 17.5 MWth, and is scheduled for delivery at the end of 2015. Waste treatment is an incipient segment in Poland. According to EU data, barely 27% of waste generated in Poland is recycled or reused, and the remaining 73% is dumped in landfills. These figures contrast with mature waste treatment markets such as Germany and the Netherlands, where almost all waste is treated. In Spain, more than 42% of municipal waste is treated. Budimex sales expanded notably (+35%) in 2011, to 1.323 billion euro, and the backlog grew by 20%, to 1.902 billion euro. Major works completed in the last year include the Lublin and Augustow bypasses and line 9 of the Ilawa railway.


Configure newsletters and alerts.

Check your email address.

Newsletters and alerts

Thank you for subscribing!

We have just sent you an email to confirm your subscription.


The Ferrovial app provides instant access to all of the latest at Ferrovial; informative content, job offers and basic information for investors.