- The awards highlight the most exemplary women internationally in the Construction and Engineering sector
- The company has had a total of 11 finalists in different categories
Three professionals at Ferrovial Construction have been recognized for their careers in the European Women in Construction & Engineering Awards (WICE). These awards highlight the most exemplary women internationally in the Construction and Engineering sector.
The winners are:
- Sonia Hassan, ‘Section Quality and Completion Manager’ at Ferrovial Construction UK. She has been recognized as Best Woman Civil Engineer.
- Paloma Miranda Sierra, ‘Architect Specialty Bulding’ at Ferrovial Construction Spain. She has been chosen as Best Woman Architectural Technologist.
- Elena Ferrero Bartolomé, ‘On-Site Senior Technical Office’ at Ferrovial Construction Spain. She has been named Best Woman Contractor.
Ferrovial had a total of 11 finalists, in 9 different categories, being one of the favorites in this new edition:
- Carmen Vilches González, BEST WOMAN CIVIL ENGINEER Raquel Rodríguez Casanueva, BEST WOMAN CONSTRUCTION PLANNER
- Marta Pérez Escacho, BEST WOMAN STRUCTURAL ENGINEER
- María Laura Vázquez Ruiz, BEST YOUNG WOMAN ENGINEER
- Constanza de Oña Ortega, BEST WOMAN STRUCTURAL ENGINEER
- Oriol Ribas Escola, BEST MALE MENTOR
- Carolina Fradejas Ufano, BEST WOMAN PROJECT MANAGER
- Virginia María Moreno Fernández, BEST WOMAN IN TUNNELLING & UNDERGROUND CONSTRUCTION
- Eva Cristina Pérez Díaz, BEST WOMAN PROJECT MANAGER
- Nuria González, BEST WOMAN DESIGN MANAGER
“They are making us feel really proud of our brand, because they represent our company’s best values. Congratulations to all of them and also to everyone that makes an effort everyday to make us better.”
The Human Resources Department at Ferrovial Construction has provided all the participants with training and advice to prepare their presentations. They have also received advice from the past editions winners throughout the process.
Give visibility to female talent
The aim of the WICE Awards is to give visibility to female talent in the sector and inspire women to start a career in Construction and Engineering. In the past few years, there have been great advances and the number of women working in the Construction sector is growing more. However, in the United Kingdom they are only 11% of the total workers in the sector, according to the WICE Organization.
According to WICE, regarding Engineering, only 9% of professionals are women in the United Kingdom, 18% in Spain, 26% in Sweden and 20% in Italy. These awards want to highlight their careers and inspire other women to work in Construction.
Gender diversity at Ferrovial
The company believes that each person brings different ideas, perspectives and knowledge. For this reason, it promotes a collaborative, flexible and diverse culture, which offers unique and challenging experiences to its employees in an environment that encourages equal opportunities.
In 2018 Ferrovial signed the manifesto for the diversity of the European Round Table of Industries.
It is also present at the Bloomberg’s 2020 Gender Equality Index, which recognizes the company’s commitment to gender equality through the development of policies in this area, as well as female representation in the company and information transparency in this matter.
Since 2010, Ferrovial has held in Spain the Equality Badge from the Ministry of Health, Social Affairs and Equality (now Ministry of Equality), a certificate of excellence awarded to companies that promote equal opportunities and prioritize merit and talent.