Making Heathrow more sustainable - Heathrow Airport goes electric


Heathrow uses electric vehicles to increase sustainability
In a bid to become increasingly more sustainable, Heathrow Airport has announced their plans to install more chargers which will power further electric vehicles at the airport.
Heathrow Airport has recently announced that it will install more than 135 chargers for at least another 260 electric vehicles in a bid to ‘turn Heathrow electric.’ They want to increase drastically the number of vehicles at the airport using electric power.

Heathrow aims to become world's most sustainable airport

This initiative is just one of the many that shape the ambitious Heathrow’s plan for reducing noise, emissions and traffic with the aim of becoming the world’s most environmentally responsible and sustainable hub airport. The review of this plan shows that 70% of the promises set out have been already been put into action and the other 30% are in progress.

Noise reduction

With respect to reducing noise, Heathrow is on track to become the first large European airport free from ‘Chapter 3’ aircraft which are the oldest and nosiest type of aircraft. In the next 18 months airlines will implement more low-noise technology to reduce noise pollution considerably. Looking at flight times, this year Heathrow will work with NATS to establish a target for meeting first preference runways at night time to give Heathrow’s locals more predictable respite.

Reducing emissions

Regarding reducing emissions, £250,000 was invested in electric vehicle charging during 2015 with 21 electric vehicle chargers available for free to passengers using short-stay car parks. Looking ahead, environmental landing charges to airlines will be doubled from January 2017, encouraging cleaner aircraft. This year Heathrow will devote £16.2m to upgrading coverage of pre-conditioned air units and electric power provision at gates which will drastically reduce aircraft emissions on parking stands.

Reducing traffic

In relation to the traffic reduction, road traffic to Heathrow has remained static despite the increase in overall numbers of passengers thanks to different environmental activities the airport has launched. These include, among other things, local transport initiatives to help reduce congestion including the opening of a cycle hub and a new 24 hour bus service; creating the UK’s largest car-share scheme for airport employees or the launch of a new cycle plan in collaboration with Sustrans which will transform cyclist’s experience at Heathrow.   Heathrow was awarded for its sustainable transport services last year. Read more here  


Configure newsletters and alerts.

Check your email address.

Newsletters and alerts

Thank you for subscribing!

We have just sent you an email to confirm your subscription.


The Ferrovial app provides instant access to all of the latest at Ferrovial; informative content, job offers and basic information for investors.