- The Calculate and Reduce seal issued by the Spanish Climate Change Office (Oficina Española de Cambio Climático, OECC), certifies Ferrovial as a company committed to the fight against climate change
- From 2017 to 2019, the company has reduced the intensity of its emissions by 4.16% in Spain, for scope 1 & 2
In 2014, the OECC created the voluntary registry of Greenhouse Gas emissions to promote calculating, reducing, and compensating for them among companies. The seal consists of three certifications:
- The first one, “Calculate,” is awarded to companies that calculate their footprint and register in the “carbon footprint and greenhouse gas emission reduction commitments” section of the registry. Once the ministry verifies these calculations, the organization obtains the (CALCULATE) seal.
- Then, the ministry determines whether reduction commitments have been met. If so, this achievement is reflected by the (REDUCE) seal.
- Lastly, the organization offers the possibility of registering in the “carbon footprint compensation” section, where emissions can be offset through carbon dioxide absorption projects or other reductions in greenhouse gas emissions recognized by the ministry (COMPENSATE). Currently, Ferrovial is participating in a compensation project where about 5 hectares have been planted with native species in Torremocha de Jarama, which will absorb 1,136 T CO2 over the next 50 years.
The Importance of Recording Carbon Footprints
Ferrovial’s calculation and registration of its carbon footprint with the OECC demonstrate the company’s commitment to fighting climate change, giving it a clear competitive advantage in future bids and public contracts.