Ferrovial Serviços awarded the public contract for operation of the LIPOR II landfill


CITRUP Portugal Ferrovial
The company has been awarded the contract for operation of the Lipor II controlled landfill in the Portuguese city of Maia.
CITRUP – a company in which Ferrovial Serviços (the portuguese subsidiary) has a 70% stake, with the other 30% being held by the Portuguese company Urban Services and the Environment (SUMA) –, has been awarded the contract for management of the Lipor II controlled landfill site, located in the city of Maia, in the north of Portugal. CITRUP has been maintaining the Maia landfill site at the Lipor II facilities for over 15 years. During this period, 448,000 tonnes of ash and 589,000 tonnes of municipal solid waste (MSW) have been deposited in the landfill, and 121,000m3 of leachate have been treated. Over the life of this new contract it is expected that a further 90,000 tonnes of MSW will be deposited and 30,000 m3 of leachate treated. This controlled landfill was designed to take the solid waste from the waste-to-energy plant. The Maia landfill is an essential infrastructure for integrated management of municipal solid waste at LIPOR. Located next to the energy recovery plant, it occupies an area of approximately 8 hectares (aprox. 20 acres).


CITRUP uses the latest technology for environmental and public health protection. The company is responsible for safety, reception of waste products, and treatment of leachate and biogas. The safety systems in place at this landfill put it on a par with the best in Europe. CITRUP is a consortium made up by Resin, France Dechets, Engil and Serurb for the design, construction and operation of a controlled landfill next to the waste-to-energy plant at LIPOR (Intermunicipal Waste Management of Greater Porto).


Configure newsletters and alerts.

Check your email address.

Newsletters and alerts

Thank you for subscribing!

We have just sent you an email to confirm your subscription.


The Ferrovial app provides instant access to all of the latest at Ferrovial; informative content, job offers and basic information for investors.