- The transformation of the Bicing service in Barcelona has begun with current stations being replaced by new ones. The process will take place gradually, and over the course of more than three months, the two systems will run alongside each other.
- At its start, the service will have a total of6,000 conventional bikes pre-designed to be able to be upgraded with electric fittings, as well as 1,000 electric bikes, all with a system of 519 stations with a mix of electric and conventional facilities.
The first phase of replacements for the new shared bicycle service in Barcelona has already begun, and it will last until the second half of April. During this period, the 424 current stations will start to be replaced for the new bicing stations, with corresponding modifications to the operational and technological systems. The transformation process will happen gradually, and for more than three months, the two systems will run alongside each other. The replacements will start in the districts of Nou Barris and Sant Andreu, and 8 stations will be changed out each day, with the goal of having 50% of the old ones modified by halfway through February.
For users, there will be no interruptions in service during this time, and they will be able to use both systems with the same cards they currently have. However, they will only be able to use departure and arrival stations in the same system: users that take an old Bicing bike will be able to dock them at an old station, and the same with new ones. While the transition period is underway, the underground electric bicycle stations will continue to be available and operational until it ends. During this modification process, 24-hour service for the new system will also start, as well as access to the service through the app.
Starting in the second half of April going until the end of 2019, a second deployment period will begin, the expansion period during which the rest of improvements to the new Bicing will begin to be done.
Improvements to the new Bicing
- More service: 24-hour operation, 365 days a year.
- More bicycles: 7,000 bikes: 6,000 mechanical bikes + 1,000 electrical ones.
- More and better stations: 519 mixed, above-ground stations, with physical integration for both types of bicycles: all the racks will work with the conventional model as well as the electric model, and they will be stronger and more durable. There will be 95 stations in addition to the 424 existing above-ground stations.
- Technological improvements: the new service offers the possibility of making a bicycle reservation 5 minutes in advance.
About the new shared bicycle service in Barcelona
Ferrovial Services, in partnership with the Canadian organization PBSC Urban Solutions, was recently awarded the shared bicycle service for the city of Barcelona over the next ten years for a sum of €163 million. The contract will allow the shared bike service to enter into a new era with its 24-hour service every day of the year, with no interruptions. From its start, it will have a total of 6,000 conventional bicycles pre-designed to be able to be updated with electric fittings, as well as 1,000 electric bikes, all in a system with 519 stations with a mix of electric and conventional facilities. Additionally, users will be able to reserve a bike a few minutes in advance and have it ready for them when they get to the station.